Roland Fryer recently gave a talked titled: 21st Century Inequality: The Declining Significance of Discrimination.
The text is here. It is well worth reading.
What I Think He Gets Right
1. Test scores are not everything but they tell us a lot.
2. Racism still exists and explains some portion of differences in life outcomes for African-Americans.
3. Differences in education attainment also explain some portion of the differences in life outcomes for African-Americans.
4. In terms of causation for negative outcomes, the effect of educational attainment in increasing and the effect of racism is decreasing.
5. No Excuses charter schools can significantly reduce achievement gaps through: teacher feedback, more time, data usage, tutoring, and high expectations.
6. Focused interventions in districts that use these same principles may see positive results (Fryer points to the Apollo program in Houston).
Where I Have Questions: Reading, Scale, Sustainability
Fryer ends his speech:
View original post 322 more words