In light of the current measles epidemics spreading in Europe, I wanted to visit some of the main concerns with the disease, and the reasons we very fervently want to put a stop to its spread. Seven reasons to make sure you protect yourself and your children from measles:
- Diarrhea, ear infection, and hearing loss. Common measles complications.
- Pneumonia. Occurs in about 1 in 20 children, most common cause of death from measles in young children.
- Encephalitis (swelling of the brain). About 1 out of every 1,000. Can lead to convulsions, deafness, or intellectual disability.
- Death. Estimated between 1-10 in every 5,000 cases of measles, or up to 1 in 10 where adequate nutrition and health care are lacking.
- Immune amnesia. Measles is associated with two years of increased susceptibility to, and mortality from other infectious disease. Studies suggest measles causes ‘immune amnesia’, wiping out previously developed immune memories.
View original post 2,488 more words